Monday, November 17, 2014

draft 2 katie lampman

Have you been a victim of student debt? If not, I bet that you know someone that has. It’s an issue that has been sweeping the nation for decades and is increasing rapidly. The amount of money it takes to attend college for four years can take decades to pay back. Thankfully, I ran into an opportunity to avoid student debt entirely and I think others would also take the opportunity if they were made aware of it. I have sworn away my week nights away to United Parcel Services as a union employee. Sounds dreadful, I know. But it is simply 3 hours of your night when you will work in an operation to move packages all around the world. This was the option for me among many reasons, such as deferred tuition and benefits that broke college students, like myself, can’t afford to turn down. I myself have learned a lot from this job and have also had much more courage and support to receive higher education for myself. I am surrounded with many new friends and hundreds of other students that are there for the same purpose as me, to graduate and be successful.


United Parcel Services (UPS) has the Metro-College Program that defers your tuition for a higher education. Metro-college specifically was made for Louisville colleges and universities; however, UPS has these educational programs across the nation. The rules and regulations to the program are easy to follow and reasonable. Basically, you have to want to be involved in higher education. You simply have to achieve a C or above in the classes you take with no withdraws or failing grades. You are required to take at least 6 credit hours and you must complete a few easy modules that give you some detailed information to fully understand the program. Not only do they pay for your tuition but they provide you with health/dental insurance and discounts on almost anything in your local area such as car and hotel rentals, restaurant discounts, car insurance, and even car purchases, only to name a few. The perks of UPS are unlimited and my argument is that it is the easiest way to avoid student debt while making money and friends at the same time. This video will tell you about the program and how it is helping thousands of students trying to avoid the awful burden of student debt.



Image taken directly from upsers.com 
Published by United Parcel Services 


1 comment:

  1. This essay is very persuasive. It does a good job of showing you the benefits of Metropolitan College. I also like how you have such a concrete example of avoiding debt. This shows organization and preparedness. You make many good points about this program. Good job.

    ReplyDelete