Thursday, November 6, 2014

Reading

The reading first asks what is normal, or ordinary, or common if you’re writing a different language research it and find what some norms are from their culture.  Respect the differences among individual people. With a given culture.  Clarify meaning with people from another culture or language by explain carefully and listen carefully, visual, invite responses.  Meet the audience’s expectations, by knowing what they want and then giving it to them.  You have to make them respect your work by giving them what they expect to see cite, personal experiences and so on.  You have to pick the best evidence to support your ideas.  Facts, personal accounts, analogies.  You need to consider organization, when to state thesis.  Style: although beauty is in the eye of the beholder you want to refrain from slang and wrong sentence structure.  You want to use proper titles. You want to speak to other like they would peak to you.  You want to create common ground. Consider the sensitivities and preferences of others, and watch for words that betray your assumptions, even if you haven't directly stated them. You want to avoid assumptions to avoid leaving someone out or upsetting someone for being wrapped up in a group that they don't associate themselves.  Make sure you avoid assumption that have gender involved for the same reasons.  The same for race and ethnicity.  Also you need to find the preferred names for different groups.  For example African American vs Negro.  It changed over time. Consider different differences that could block the communication: Class, geographical area, physical ability or health, religion, sexual orientation. There are many variations of the English language, we have the school and interview English then are slang English. You want to use different varieties of English to build credibility with your audience.




When I wrote an 8th grade paper that ended up getting picked for to read in front of my school and parents I had to consider who I would reading it to.  In my paper I referenced many of my experienced thought my days at my grade and middle school.  So it was effective to those who experienced the events with me.  Although the ones who came to my school after were in the dark.  So I could have did a better job explaining what happened.  I tried to avoid assumptions by saying a lot of my thoughts and not trying to group people into a group they actually weren’t in.  The strengths of my players was the organization.  The paper was set up very well in an orderly manner.  I used proper titles for my teachers so I wouldn’t offend them.  I stated my thesis in the beginning of the paper.  I also used well timed analogies and stories that we had gone through together to add to the audiences enjoyment and also adding to the feeling and authority of my paper.

1 comment:

  1. Not sure if this is the right place but I'm not sure where else to post

    I recently wrote a paper for history class. The paper was on the ancient civilization of Egypt. I was writing to the world about the ancient Egyptian civilizations and their contributions to the modern world. Like in the reading, I couldn’t just make accusations about their culture before I learned about them. I needed to research their lifestyle and be respectful to their way of life. I needed to be sensitive to their culture because it is very different than ours. I needed to avoid disrespectful language and talk of their culture like it is one of our own. To write an effective essay on another group with the world as your audience, you must change your perspective to completely understand the topic.

    ReplyDelete